Trust us, you are going to want to grill up these sandwiches! The sweet yet tangy bbq pork is perfectly complemented by the spicy jalapeno flat bread. This recipe is for an intermediate level cook but do not be afraid because we break it all down into simple steps. Enjoy the five-star taste of these mouthwatering sandwiches!
Flat Bread Ingredients:
- 2 ¼ cups bread flour
- 1 ¼ cups room temperature water
- ¾ cup corn flour
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons dry active yeast
- 1 jalapeno pepper with top on, grilled, skinned, seeded, and chopped coarsely
Step 1: Combine dry ingredients in stand mixer bowl. Add water and honey, then mix for 3 minutes on low and 1 minute on medium.
Step 2: Fold chopped jalapeno in gently. Transfer dough to oiled bowl and cover it with plastic wrap and then a towel. Wait 1 hour for dough to rise.
Step 3: Punch down dough, roll it into a ball, and allow 15 minutes resting time. Punch dough down one more time and roll it to form a ball. Let dough rest for between 30 and 60 minutes.
Step 4: Heat BBQ grill to medium. Roll dough into the desired shape, maintaining a thickness of approximately ½-inch. Coat dough with olive oil.
Step 5: Place dough on grill for indirect cooking. Grill between 10 and 12 minutes or until bread attains desired color.
BBQ Sauce Ingredients:
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 medium sized yellow onion, diced
- 1 small jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 20-ounce bottle of ketchup
- 1 12-ounce bottle of dark beer
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup cane syrup or molasses
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Hot sauce
Step 1: Use oil to completely coat a large-sized sauté pan on medium heat.
Step 2: Add jalapeno, garlic, onion, and powders.
Step 3: Saute briefly and stir in remaining ingredients. Bring the sauce to boiling, then reduce heat immediately and simmer for 30 to 45 minutes uncovered. Allow to cool, puree the sauce in a blender, and set it aside.
- 1 or 2 medium carrots, grated
- 1 small head of cabbage, shredded
- 1 small bell pepper, chopped coarsely
- 1 bunch of green onions, chopped coarsely
- 1 small bunch of parsley, leaves chopped coarsely
In a large bowl, combine all ingredients and set aside. Add dressing (below) just before serving.
Slaw Dressing Ingredients:
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 medium garlic cloves, sliced thinly
- 3 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup coarse ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon celery seeds
Place all ingredients in a bowl, then combine by whisking. Cover bowl and refrigerate dressing until use.
Pork And Rub Ingredients:
- One 1 ½-pound pork shoulder steak, untrimmed and a maximum of ¾-inch thick
- ½ cup smoked paprika
- ½ cup chili powder
- 3 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- Black pepper
Step 1: Heat grill to high. Combine rub ingredients within a bowl. Use rub to liberally coat pork. Set aside for 5 or more minutes.
Step 2: Sear the pork over hot coals, then turn and move it to one side of the grill. Cover and cook for 15 minutes to achieve medium doneness with medium-well doneness on ends. Remove pork, loosely cover it with foil, and allow it to rest before chopping it into pieces.
Step 3: Put a mound of chopped pork onto each piece of flat bread. Top with slaw and drizzle some BBQ sauce on top.