Bison meat comes from a buffalo and is high in protein and low in cholesterol, making it a healthy alternative to beef and chicken. It is perfect for grilling and can be used in a variety of recipes including this one that calls for bison tenderloin fillets. Grill these bison steaks tonight to let your family experience a new type of meat. This recipe yields four servings and requires just five minutes to prepare and ten minutes cooking time, making it the perfect family meal for a busy weeknight.
• 4 eight-ounce bison tenderloin fillets
• 1 seeded chipotle pepper in adobo or 1 teaspoon of dried ground chipotles
• ¼ cup paprika
• 1 tablespoon salt
• 1 tablespoon sugar
• 2 teaspoons cumin seed, toast and ground
• 2 teaspoons red chile powder
• 2 teaspoons coriander seeds, toast and ground
• 1 teaspoon black peppercorns, ground
• ½ teaspoon allspice, ground
• Small bowl
• Large, flat plate or pie pan
Step 1: Combine the cumin seed, red chile powder, coriander seeds, paprika, chipotle pepper, salt, sugar, black peppercorns, and allspice in the small bowl and set this aside.
Step 2: Heat the grill to medium-high. Transfer the spice mixture to a large, flat plate or pie pan.
Step 3: Dip both sides of each bison steak into the spice mixture, shaking off excess mixture after each dipping.
Step 4: Put the bison steaks on the grill rack and grill each side for between four and five minutes. Remove each steak from the grill. Let steaks rest for a few minutes prior to serving.