Use the Grill for More than Meals
Preparing lunches and dinners for family and friends is the usual application for our grills – hamburgers, hotdogs, steak, and chicken on the grill can make a great meal that everyone will enjoy. The reality is that with a little thought and creativity, the grill can be used for so much more! Have you ever considered using the grill to whip up easy and delicious appetizers? Using the grill for this meal course is a great way to add new spin and flavor to almost any food. Planning on having the group over for a meal this weekend? Why not try this simple grilled appetizer recipe for Grilled Stuffed Jalapenos!
Ingredients for Grilled Stuffed Jalapenos
2 bacon slices (center-cut)
1/2 cup softened cream cheese
1/2 cup softened fat-free cream cheese
¼ cup shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese
1/4 cup minced green onions
1 tsp. lime juice
1/4 tsp. salt
1 small garlic clove (minced)
14 jalapeño peppers
2 tbsp. chopped cilantro
2 tbsp. chopped tomato
Directions for Grilled Stuffed Jalapenos
1. Clean and prepare grill for use. Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
2. In a medium skillet, cook center-cut bacon until crisp. Remove from skillet and drain off excess grease on paper towels.
3. Once bacon has cooled crumble and combine with cream cheese, fat-free cream cheese, shredded cheddar cheese, minced onions, lime juice, garlic and salt in a large bowl.
4. Clean and slice jalapeno peppers, cutting length-wise, and remove the seeds.
5. Divide the cheese mixture between the jalapeno pepper halves. Evenly fill each pepper half.
6. Spray grill grate with cooking oil. Place jalapeno peppers, cheese side up, on the grill.
7. Close the grill and allow jalapeno peppers to cook until bottoms are charred and cheese mixture is slightly brown (will take about 8 minutes).
8. Remove jalapeno peppers from grill and place on a serving platter. Sprinkle with cilantro and tomato and serve.
This recipe’s easy preparation and great flavor will make it a welcome change at your next party or family meal. Another great aspect of Grilled Stuffed Jalapenos is that they can be prepared ahead of time and warmed up right as guests arrive. Simply follow the steps above and instead of putting them on the grill, cover the jalapeno peppers and place them in the refrigerator. Then as guests begin to arrive, throw the jalapeno peppers on the grill – you will have a hot, delicious appetizer in no time!