Welcoming Warmer Weather with Seasonal Foods
With spring and warmer weather right around the corner, our favorite seasonal foods will become available soon! One delicious and healthy warm weather food is artichokes. Artichokes can be made a number of different ways and added to a variety of dishes. Why not get outside and enjoy the weather while grilling these versatile vegetables and creating tasty grilled artichokes with green olive dip!
Ingredients for Grilled Artichokes with Green Olive Dip
2 ⅛ tbsp. salt plus 1/2 tsp. salt
5 tbsp. lemon juice
3 cloves of garlic (minced)
3 tbsp. olive oil
¼ tsp. black pepper
Green Olive Dip:
1/2 c. parsley (chopped)
5 tbsp. olive oil
2 tbsp. green olives (chopped)
1 tbsp. capers (drained)
1 tbsp. lemon juice
1/2 tsp. Dijon mustard
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1/8 tsp. salt
Directions for Grilled Artichokes with Green Olive Dip
1. Prepare the artichokes by removing thorny sections, slicing off the tops, and getting rid of some inner leaves.
2. Bring 1 to 2 inches of water to a boil in a large pot, adding 1 tbsp. of salt, 3tbsp. lemon juice and artichokes. Cover and steam until artichokes are tender and bottoms pierce easily (will take about 20 to 40 minutes).
3. Remove artichokes from heat, drain and cool. When cooled, cut artichokes in half lengthwise and remove fuzzy center.
4. Combine oil, garlic, 2 tbsp. lemon juice and ½ tsp. salt and ¼ tsp. black pepper in a small bowl. Brush each artichoke with garlic mixture.
5. Prepare either gas fired or charcoal heat grill to 350 degrees. Place artichokes on the grill, turning once, until lightly browned on all sides (this should take 8 to 10 minutes).
6. Remove from heat, let stand and serve with Green Olive Dip.
Green Olive Dip:
1. Puree ½ c. parsley, 5 tbsp. olive oil, 2 tbsp. green olives, 1 tbsp. capers, 1 tbsp. lemon juice, ½ tsp. Dijon mustard, ¼ tsp. black pepper and 1/8 tsp. of salt in a blender until coarsely pureed.
2. Remove from blender and place in a small bowl. Serve with Grilled Artichokes.
Warmer weather means more time outside and, better yet, more time at the grill! Grilling versatile vegetables like artichokes and making them into a healthy snack is a great way to welcome spring and get away from the run of the mill chips and dip. So fire up the grill and grab those tongs – warm weather is almost here!