Grilled cheese is a favorite comfort food and there are many ways to prepare it. However, when it comes to cooking a grilled cheese sandwich, few people do it on an actual grill. Ironic, we think, because grilling makes a great cheese sandwich taste even better. Here are some mouthwatering recipes for grilled cheese cooked on the grill. We guarantee you will love them!
Ingredients for Grilled Cheese with Green Apples (serves 1):
- 3 slices of tart, crisp apple
- 1 tablespoon of unsalted butter, softened
- 1 ounce aged, extra-sharp cheddar cheese, sliced thinly
- 2 slices of healthy bread
Step 1: Spread some butter onto one side of each bread slice.
Step 2: Top the bread with half of the cheese, the apple slices, and remaining cheese. Place the second slice of bread on top with the buttered side up.
Step 3: Heat grill to medium temperature Put the sandwich on the grill grate and grill for 3 minutes. Flip the sandwich over and grill for an additional 3 minutes. Serve.
Ingredients For Pear, Brie, And Mozzarella Grilled Cheese With Blue Cheese Butter (serves 4):
- 1 (approximately ¾ cup) firm, medium pear, peeled and cored, then cut into ¼-inch cubes
- ½ (approximately 1 ½ cups) large yellow onion, cut in half lengthwise and sliced thinly
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese, grated coarsely
- 6 ounces Brie cheese, cut into ¼-inch thick slices
- 3 ounces creamy blue cheese, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped finely
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
- 8 slices of sourdough bread
Step 1: Heat 1 tablespoon butter on medium heat in a large, nonstick skillet. Add the onion and cook approximately 5 minutes until it is limp but not brown.
Step 2: Add the thyme and pear and cook approximately 2 to 3 minutes until heated through. Add pepper and salt then set aside.
Step 3: Combine the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and the blue cheese in a small bowl. Use a fork to mash these ingredients until they are well-mixed.
Step 4: Spread blue cheese butter onto one side of each slice of bread. Place 4 slices of bread on a work surface with the buttered sides down.
Step 5: Lay some slices of brie on each of the 4 bread slices. Top with the pear-onion mixture and add mozzarella on top of this.
Step 6: Place one of the remaining slices of bread on top of each sandwich with the buttered side facing up.
Step 7: Put each sandwich on the grate of a grill heated to medium temperature. Grill approximately two minutes until the cheese melts. Flip each sandwich over and grill for an additional minute or two. Serve.