Tasty Sides from Your Grill that Will Make Guests Say ‘Wow’!
Many people never think to use their grills to make delicious sides for lunch or dinner – meats such as chicken and beef are usually the star when it comes to grilling. But the grill is a great way to add a new spin to boring side dishes too! Grilled asparagus is one of these unique sides that will be delicious with your next grilled beef or chicken meal!
Ingredients for Grilled Asparagus and Fresh Tarragon Mayonnaise
1 egg yolk (room temperature)
.5 cup olive oil (additional available for grilling)
2 teaspoons shallots (minced)
2 teaspoons fresh parsley (minced)
1 teaspoon fresh tarragon (minced)
1.5 teaspoons lemon juice (more or less to taste)
1.5 pounds asparagus (cleaned and trimmed)
Directions for Grilled Asparagus
1. Blanch asparagus in a large pot of boiling salted water for 1 to 1.5 minutes. Remove the asparagus with tongs and place into ice water to stop the cooking process. When cool, remove from cold water and pat dry.
2. On a rimmed baking sheet, place asparagus and drizzle with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Season with salt and toss until well coated.
3. Prepare the grill be heating to medium high heat and place grill grate directly on heat source. Asparagus should be arranged perpendicular to the grate bars to ensure they do not fall through. Grill asparagus for 3 to 4 minutes, turning once, until spears a slightly charred and blistered. Remove from heat and serve immediately.
Directions for Fresh Tarragon Mayonnaise
1. Whisk egg yolk and small amount of lukewarm water in a small bowl until well combined.
2. Slowly add olive oil and continue to whisk until the mixture thickens and becomes creamy.
3. Add in shallots, parsley, lemon juice and tarragon and whisk until well blended.
4. Season with ½ teaspoon of salt (more or less to taste). If the mixture becomes too thick, loosen with a few drops of water.
5. Serve immediately with grilled asparagus.
When sides are cooked on the grill, it can make it easy to create an entire meal without having to use multiple cooking appliances. Vegetables, fruits and breads can all be prepared on the grill making this appliance your one stop meal shop. Grilled asparagus with fresh tarragon mayonnaise is a unique, delicious side dish to serve at your next gathering of family or friends.