As the summer season winds down, many families spend less time outdoors and more time preparing the kids for school. There is still plenty of beautiful weather left when summer turns to fall so do not put away that grill! Try this steak and potato kebab recipe that is perfect for a crisp evening during late summer or fall. With just 269 calories per serving, you can keep a slim waistline until the holidays.
- 10 ounces of strip steak, trimmed and cut to form 1 ½-inch pieces
- 4 baby red or new potatoes
- ½ large green bell pepper or 1 poblano pepper, cut to form 1-inch pieces
- ½ of a large sweet onion, cut into 1-inch chunks
- ¼ cup cilantro leaves, minced
- 1 tablespoon reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 tablespoon cider or red wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon chile powder
- ½ teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ of a small garlic clove, minced
- ¼ teaspoon salt, divided
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 10 to 12-inch metal skewers
Step 1: In a small bowl, combine the sour cream, cilantro, garlic, vinegar, cumin, chile powder, and 1/8 teaspoon of salt. Set the bowl aside.
Step 2: Preheat the grill to high temperature.
Step 3: Put the potatoes into a container that is microwave-safe and cover the container. Microwave on high setting until the potatoes are just tender when they are pierced with a fork, approximately 3 to 3 ½ minutes.
Step 4: In a large bowl, toss steak, pepper pieces, and potatoes with the olive oil and the remaining 1/8 teaspoon of salt. Thread the steak, potatoes, onions, and peppers onto the skewers, alternating each on each skewer.
Step 5: Grill the kebabs until the steak reaches the desired level of doneness, approximately 6 minutes for medium doneness. Turn the skewers one or two times during grilling.
Step 6: Serve kebabs with the sauce prepared in Step 1.