A Light Meal for Your Next Cookout
Are you ready to lighten up the menu at your next BBQ and put out a dish that any restaurant would be proud to serve? Fish is a great meat to cook on the grill and is both light and satisfying. To help kick your fish dish up a notch, consider adding a delicious sauce such as this spicy tomatillo sauce and include a light side dish like a lightly dressed cucumber salad. This recipe is simple, different and will have your party guests, family members, and friends coming back to get seconds!
Ingredients for Grilled Trout & Tomatillo Sauce with Cucumber Salad:
- (4) 6 oz. trout filets (with skin)
- 1 jalapeno (minced)
- 1 small onion (diced)
- 3 gloves garlic (minced)
- 5 medium tomatillos (husked and rinsed)
- 1 dried chipotle chili
- 2 dried guajillo chilies
- 1 medium cucumber (peeled and sliced into half-moons)
- 2 cups boiling water
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 2 tbsp. mint (chopped)
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp. cilantro (chopped)
- 1 tbsp. flat-leaf parsley (chopped)
- 1 tsp. salt
Directions for Grilled Trout & Tomatillo Sauce with Cucumber Salad:
1. Toss cucumber and salt in a colander. Allow to stand for 25 minutes or until wilted. Pat dry.
2. In a medium bowl, soak guajillo and chipotle chilies in 2 cups of boiling water. Allow to soak for 20 minutes or until softened. Remove from water, remove seeds and stems and pat dry. Coarsely chop both chilies.
3. Clean and prepare the grill for cooking. Place tomatillos on the grill grate and cook over high heat until charred on all sides, about 5 minutes. Remove charred skins. Coarsely chop tomatillos and set aside.
4. Heat 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil in a small skillet over medium high heat. And onion and 2/3 of the minced garlic and cook until softened, about 7 to 10 minutes.
5. Transfer onion and garlic to a blender. Add tomatillos, chilies, cilantro and mint. Puree until sauce is smooth and season with salt and pepper.
6. Toss cucumbers, jalapeno, sour cream, parsley and remaining garlic in a medium bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
7. Brush all sides of trout with vegetable oil and season with salt and pepper. Brush the grill grate with vegetable oil and place trout directly on the grate. Cook trout over high heat, skin side down, for about 3 to 5 minutes or until the outer skin is crisp. Turn trout over and cook until the fish is cooked through, about 2 to 3 minutes longer.
8. Remove trout from grill and transfer to a serving platter. Serve with chili and tomatillo sauce and cucumber salad and enjoy!