Meatloaf is a popular weeknight dish in many households because it is so easy to make and usually appeals to everyone in the family. However, after several weeks in a row, it may be time to mix things up. Grilled meatloaf is a great twist on an old favorite and incorporates a combination of flavors that are sure to spice up any dinner table. It does not take very much time at all, but it is a meal that everyone in the family will enjoy.
1. Gather your ingredients. Many of the ingredients for grilled meatloaf are staples in any kitchen. In addition to a variety of spices, it is necessary to have ground beef, bread crumbs, an egg, bacon, cheddar cheese and minced onion and garlic. To make the meatloaf topping, be sure to have ketchup, brown sugar, mustard powder, nutmeg and hot sauce.
2. Preheat the grill to medium high heat. Underheating the grill may cause the meatloaf to be undercooked while overheating it can cause the outside to burn before the inside cooks.
3. Mix the ground beef with bread crumbs, cheese, spices, egg, onion and garlic. This can be done with an electric mixer, but the ingredients are usually best combined when they are mixed by hand. Be sure to wash your hands first!
4. Wrap the meat up in tinfoil and shape it into a loaf.
5. Combine all of the ingredients for the meatloaf topper. Spread the mixture on all side of the meatloaf.
6. Space bacon strips on top of the meatloaf.
7. Fold the sides of the tinfoil to create a pan. This is very important because it will hold in the juices, keeping the meat moist and preventing a mess on the grill.
8. Place the meatloaf over direct heat on the grill for about one hour.
9. After approximately forty minutes, check the meatloaf. Depending on the heat of the grill, it may already be finished. This important step helps to prevent overcooking the meatloaf.
This grilled meatloaf recipe is a great way to keep weeknight meals simple while still keeping things interesting for the entire family. It is typically made with parsley, pepper, cayenne pepper and salt, but anyone can adjust the spices used to fit their personal taste. Be sure to monitor the meatloaf carefully while it is cooking to make sure that it does not overheat.
*Photo Courtesy of Theo via Creative Commons License