Yes, the summer is over and we are getting ready to go into fall weather, but that does not mean it is time to put that grill away just yet. Wear a jacket or let the heat from the grill keep you warm, but keep firing up that grill! After all, what is better during half time of your favorite game than a quality burger? If you want to add a little pizzazz to the next one you eat, consider a Tex-Mex flair for a little fire.
Ingredients (for 4 servings):
1 1/3#’s ground meat (make it healthy and use lean meat or ground turkey)
1 jalapeno pepper (chopped fine-take out the seeds if you want to eliminate some of the fire)
1/2c white onion (diced)
1T + 1t Cajun seasoning
1 garlic clove (minced)
1t Worcestershire sauce
4 slices of pepperjack cheese (can substitute if you like)
4 hamburger buns
4 slices of tomato
4 large leaves of lettuce
To Make Burgers:
- Heat grill to medium heat.
- While grill is warming up, mix mayo and 1t of Cajun seasoning in small bowl and set to the side.
- Combine ground meat, onion, garlic, jalapeno, Worcestershire, and remaining Cajun seasoning in a large bowl. Continue to mix until all ingredients are blended well together. Cut mixture into four portions and pat down to create burger patty for grilling.
- If grill is not non-stick, coat lightly with oil and then place patties on grill, leaving space in between for heat to circulate. Cook for 3-5 minutes on each side, depending upon how well you would like them done (3 minutes should be about med rare, 5 minutes should be about well done).
- When patties are almost done, place cheese on meat to allow it to melt. While cheese is melting, dress bun crown with seasoned mayo, lettuce and tomato. Place heel of bun on grill (open side down) for about 30 seconds to a minute to lightly toast it. Remove heel, place burger on heel, and then top with the crown.
*you can substitute virtually anything for the toppings on this recipe. For instance, salsa and avocado are a night healthy alternative and will also spice up the burger a bit more