The arrival of winter is no reason to put away the grill. There are plenty of grilled hearty meals and snacks perfect for game time or a snow day. This grilled pizza recipe features a Thai style twist that your friends and family will love. Keep it handy because it will soon become a popular request regardless of the season.
- 1 ten-ounce tube of refrigerated pizza dough
- 2 cups of cooked or grilled turkey, shredded
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese, grated
- ½ cup green onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons green onion, minced
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice (pulp style)
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium carrot, cut to form 2 x 1/8-inch match sticks
- 2 tablespoons of reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil and extra as needed
- 1 tablespoon of crunchy peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger root, minced
- ½ teaspoon lime zest, grated
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Disposable aluminum pan
Step 1: Prepare the grill for cooking on indirect heat by arranging coals around the outer edge and placing the aluminum pan into the open space.
Step 2: Combine the soy sauce, lime juice, chopped cilantro, sliced onion, oil, peanut butter, ginger root, brown sugar, red pepper flakes, garlic, and lime zest in the saucepan. Stir in the turkey and heat on low heat, stirring occasionally.
Step 3: Unroll the pizza dough and use your hands to pat it into a rectangular shape that measures approximately 10 x 13 inches. Cut the dough into 4 pieces of equal size.
Step 4: Adjust grill to low heat and use the basting brush to apply olive oil to the grill rack. Put the pizza dough onto the rack over the open area containing the aluminum pan. Grill approximately 3 to 4 minutes or until the dough is light brown and puffy.
Step 5: Turn over the pizza crusts and put some turkey mixture on top of each browned side. Sprinkle the minced cilantro, carrot sticks, and minced green onions on top. Cover the top of each pizza with cheese.
Step 6: Tent the grill with foil or cover it with the grill lid. Grill the pizzas until the cheese melts, the bottom of each crust is cooked, and pizzas are hot, approximately 5 minutes.