Tasty, Tangy Salmon Filets from the Grill
When it comes to grilling, burgers and steaks can be run-of-the-mill and may lack the “wow” factor that many grillers aim for, not to mention the grease from these types of meat can be very unhealthy. A great meat for grilling that many people do not consider is different types of fish. Although this type of meat can be delicate, when cooked carefully and properly they can be a delicious addition to any grilling repertoire. Another interesting benefit of grilling is having the freedom to think outside the box and combine different flavors with smoke from the grill. One of these unique grilling recipes is Sweet and Spicy Grilled Salmon Filets.
Sweet and Spicy Salmon Ingredients:
• 8 – 4 ounce salmon filets
• .5 cup peanut oil
• 4 tbsp soy sauce
• 4 tbsp balsamic vinegar
• 4 tbsp green onions, chopped
• 3 tsp brown sugar
• 2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
• 1.5 tsp ground ginger
• 1 tsp sesame oil
• .5 tsp salt
• 2 minced garlic cloves
Preparing Sweet and Spicy Salmon
1. In a medium bowl, combine ingredients to create a marinade. Whisk together peanut oil, soy sauce, balsamic vinegar, chopped green onions, brown sugar, red pepper flakes, ground ginger, sesame oil, salt and minced garlic until well blended.
2. In a separate, non-porous glass bowl place salmon filets.
3. Pour marinade over salmon filets making sure all areas are saturated.
4. Cover and refrigerate for 4 to 6 hours prior to grilling.
5. To prepare the grill, place coals 5 inches away from the grate. Spray or wipe grate lightly with cooking oil or grilling spray.
6. Remove filets from the refrigerator and place directly on lightly oiled grate. Filets should be cooked based on their thickness – 10 minutes per inch at the fattest point, turning over halfway through cooking.
7. When fully cooked, filets should flake easily with a fork.
8. Makes 8 servings – serve over rice and/or stir-fry of Asian vegetables
This recipe’s sweet and tangy taste is extenuated by the natural smoke flavor of grilling. Also the salmon’s light, flakey texture makes this dish a delicious choice for those health conscience individuals and has many options for paring with different side dishes. Next time the grill is ready to be fired up, skip the usual burgers and steaks – think outside the box and try this sweet and spicy grilled salmon recipe!