Grilling Ideas for the Health Conscious
When many of us think of grilling, we think of juicy steaks and greasy burgers that can be loaded with calories and excess fat. The truth is there are many different options that are much healthier than what we would normally throw on the grill. Vegetables and seafood take well to the grilling process and can add a deep, smoky flavor to different healthy dishes.
Grilled Shrimp Panzanella
Shrimp is very easily and is a much healthier protein than their land-bound cousins. This paired with healthy, grilled vegetables makes an amazing dish everyone will love.
Grilled Shrimp Panzanella Ingredients
1 1/2 lbs. large shrimp with tails
3/4 cup olive oil
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
3 tbsp. lemon juice
2 cloves garlic (minced)
3/4 tsp. salt
3/4 tsp. ground black pepper
2 large red or yellow sweet peppers (halved and seeded)
2 medium zucchini (halved lengthwise)
1 lb. ciabatta bread (cut into cubes)
4 Roma tomatoes (halved)
Directions to Cook Grilled Shrimp Panzanella
1. Combine vinegar, oil, garlic, lemon juice, salt and pepper in a bowl. Thread shrimp onto wooden skewers and brush with prepared marinade, using 3 tablespoons and reserving the remainder.
2. Once the grill is heated to medium-high, grease rack and place skewers over the heat. Cover and cook for 4 to 5 minutes or until opaque turning halfway through. Once cooked, remove from grill to rest.
3. Brush vegetables with marinade and add to the grill. Cover and cook for 8 minutes or until crisp and lightly charred, turning halfway through. Remove from grill to rest.
4. Brush bread cubes and tomatoes with the remaining marinade and add to the grill. Cover and grill for 2 minutes or until bread is toasted and tomatoes are softened. Remove from grill to rest.
5. Once all the ingredients have been grilled, remove shrimp from skewers and transfer all ingredients to a large bowl. Drizzle with olive oil and toss, adding basil, parsley and/or olives if desired.
6. Serve salad immediately or chill for up to 2 hours. Serves 10.
This panzanella recipe is a great example of how the grill can be used to make healthy, delicious meals that will not ruin a diet. Remember that grilling is not just about hearty steaks and juicy burgers – seafood, vegetables and even bread can be cooked on the grill too!
Would you like to see more recipes for grilled shrimp? Click here.